Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Go South, young man, and grow up with the samba

Well...
I have work, which is good, because work has been so very slow since July, and gotten progressively slower. I hope it picks up again, soon.
From about August of 2006 to July of 2008 I had so much work, I didn't sleep.
Life was good! I had dough, etc.
Then, with the passing of a resolution in the European Patent Commission stating that patents no longer need to be translated, and the falling of the banks and other industries this summer, everything has gotten deadly quiet. Oh yeah, and my broker flushed 96% of my dough down the drain.
My money has run out.
As you know, I interviewed at a local private school on Friday, for a part-time position teaching English, Geography and Civics to 7th and 8th graders.
I haven't yet heard from the school. I phoned looking for the Rabbi (it's a Jewish school), but he wasn't in, so I left a message.
I've also moved my office into my living room, and am trying to rent the former office as a bedroom to get a roommate to help with the rent. I've had a few inquiries, but, so far only one person came to see the room, and they didn't take it.
At the moment, I'm translating documents from Brazil. Most of my work seems to come from Brazil, now. In the past, most came from the US and from Europe.
Only Brazil seems to have a burgeoning economy, at the moment. People speak of China becoming the next world power. They're wrong. It will be Brazil. They are stronger in natural resources, agriculture, industry, than any other nation. The only thing that's held them back for so long was unstable government, but they've been on the right track now for a while. O Sr. Presidente Lula is a good president.
I want to move to Brazil.

No comments: